Heart of Taiwan: Canceled Class - Kaoshiung 1987

a retro-blog

a "retro-blog" - "We look at the present through a rear view mirror. We march backwards into the future." Marshall McLuhan

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Canceled Class - Kaoshiung 1987

One of my students called to cancel class today. In her early thirties, with 3 kids in kindergarten and elementary school, she drives a BMW. Her husband drives a Benz when he is in town. He's usually in China where they own a factory. Selina is a long, lean, leggy woman, built like a runway model. She is high maintenance. She often cancels class. She is active in the community, Majong club and frequent weddings. She takes medication 'for her nerves.'

“Hi Selina,” I answered.
“Teacher I'm sorry I have to cancel class today.”
“Oh, is everything O.K.?”I asked.
“I am in the hospital,” she confessed.
“Are you alright?”
“Nothing serious. Minor surgery."
"Does it hurt much?" I asked.
"No," she replied. "This is my third time."
"I have the baby removed.”
“Oh, I'm so sorry.” I empathized.
She laughs nervously, “ Never mind. I have 3 already,” she consoled.
“How does your husband feel about this?” I wondered.
“He doesn't care. “
“Oh.”
“It's not his.”

“Oh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment