Heart of Taiwan: Passion for My Work, Kaohsiung 1987

a retro-blog

a "retro-blog" - "We look at the present through a rear view mirror. We march backwards into the future." Marshall McLuhan

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Passion for My Work, Kaohsiung 1987

I had a big day tomorrow and got to bed early. I had a rented 1 room on the first floor of a small apartment building. I shared the flat with a husband, wife and their 2 kids. It was a 1 block walk from the office were I was implementing a new English language program based on The Natural Approach. I have a passion for my work and this was a remarkable opportunity to get ahead of the curve bringing state of the art methods to this small city.

I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of a whisper my name. “Malcolm, Malcolm”.

I walked over to the window. It was Sunny, my co-worker. A petite cute, homely looking woman. She had offered to share her flat with me. I was concerned about propriety.
It looked like trouble from the start. 3 days earlier, she had taken me to her 2nd floor place to show me around. The whole space was open, like a loft, with tall windows all around, all 4 sides. It cost a small fortune in curtains. Sunny went up the stairs ahead of me, wearing the tiniest denim short shorts I had ever seen since leaving the New Jersey shore.
My eyes lapped up her velvety skin and I remarked, “ Nice view,” perhaps a ½ second too early as we had not reached the top of the stairs.
She replied,” yeah, but there's nothing to see, really,” and then stopped herself, looked down at me over her shoulder. She caught the direction of my gaze, and smirked coquettishly.
I detected a definite change in her gait.
What is it about chicks who have androgynous names, Tracey, Bobby, Sunny, Sandy, and the trouble that follows them.

I whispered out the window,”Hi Sunny. What can I do for you?”
“I lost my key and can't get into my house. Can I stay with you ?”
I could smell the alcohol through the screen.
She was loud and staggering.
“No, this is not what you want to do. Call your girlfriend and go home.”
“ Please, please, Malcolm.” She got louder.
The next window was my landlord and his wife.
“Shhhhh. I'll open the door. But you sleep on the bed, I sleep on the floor. Agreed?
“ Agreed.”
The steel roll down door was like a dragon going up. She stooped to get in and banged her head. “ Ow, shit.”
“OK. We have a meeting in the morning to discuss the new curriculum and marketing strategy. We need to be alert and alive at 7 a.m. OK? “

“ Whatever you see.”
I carried her to the bed, tucked her in fully clothed and took a blanket to the floor.
5 minutes later, I feel her on the floor spooning me.

I scooped her up and place her back on the bed.
5 minutes later, she was back again, spooning me and cradling my little friend.
“ Oh, Sunny, you don't want this.”
“Yes, I do.”
“ But I don't.”
I turned her down a 4th time. ”Alright, if I do this will you then let me sleep?”
“En.”
If I exhaust her she'll fall asleep. Then we can all get some sleep. There is an old adage about urinating where you eat. I knew that I would regret this later.
I tried not to let myself get swept away in the passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment